Class Pride solicits student donations

The Temple University Annual Fund has begun planning for this year’s Class Pride campaign. The campaign’s sole purpose is to educate graduating seniors on the importance of annual donations and to solicit a contribution of

The Temple University Annual Fund has begun planning for this year’s Class Pride campaign. The campaign’s sole purpose is to educate graduating seniors on the importance of annual donations and to solicit a contribution of $20.05 from each senior. The money raised by the campaign will be used to improve the University’s colleges and programs.

The campaign runs for the six weeks leading up to commencement and is forming a committee of students to support its efforts.

In previous years, volunteers have set up tables at the Student Center, during Spring Fling and at graduation to promote donations. Last year, students who donated received an “I’m just smarter” T-shirt displaying Temple’s then catch phrase.

Solicitations have been sent to student e-mail accounts from the Office of Development and Alumni Affairs. Since this is the first year students are serving on the committee, greater energy and more results are expected.

The contributions make a large impact on the future of the University’s schools and programs. The Annual Fund has benefited students through student aid, activities, materials and other developments in various departments. Contributions can be designated toward any particular school, department, library, athletic program or scholarship.

Students have mixed reactions about the campaign. Some are pleased that they actually have a choice in where their money will go.

“Since I can select exactly where my money goes, I will be much more inclined to give a donation to a cause that I deem worthy” said Ben Polinsky, a junior literature major.

Still, some students are apprehensive if this year’s increased efforts will actually have a prominent effect.

“I think Temple already makes a lot of money. Money is an issue whether you are in college or about to graduate,” said Megan Collier, a junior in the School of Communications and Theater. “I just have more important things to spend my money on right now.”

Juniors and seniors are urged to serve on the planning committee for the 2005 Class Pride campaign. Committee members will aid in creating a theme as well as advertising.

Amanda Parlett, associate director, Annual Campaigns, is looking for students to participate. It is preferred that students who volunteer are actively involved in the Temple community, serve in a leadership position on campus or have a “pro-Temple” mind-set. While donating funds is a way to influence Temple for future generations, serving on the planning committee can be an opportunity to get involved and to network.

Junior Jon Panofsky, a secondary education major and vice president of Common Ground, Temple’s LGBTQ Straight Alliance is already contemplating joining the committee.

“I really think this type of fund raising is necessary, I’m all for it. I’m considering joining the committee, if I can find enough time this semester. Not all students have the time and/or money to contribute, so I think it’s important that those who do take part in this campaign.”

Those interested in volunteering should contact Parlett at amanda.parlett@temple.edu or by phone at (215) 204-6806.

Carolyn Griffin can be reached at carolyng@temple.edu.