Close to the postseason

The baseball team can clinch its first Atlantic Ten Conference Tournament appearance two days from today. With a win over St. Louis Thursday or losses by both Fordham and George Washington, Temple (23-26, 14-10 A-10)

The baseball team can clinch its first Atlantic Ten Conference Tournament appearance two days from today.

With a win over St. Louis Thursday or losses by both Fordham and George Washington, Temple (23-26, 14-10 A-10) would enter the six-team playoff for the first time since 2002.

The Owls, who through Monday were fifth in the 14-team A-10 standings, took two of three games from visiting Dayton (29-23, 11-13) at Skip Wilson Field this weekend, a jumpstart of sorts after the team lost eight of their last nine games before their series against the Flyers.

Junior picthers Matt Mongiardini and senior Arshwin Asjes combined for a complete game shutout of the Flyers in a 1-0 win in the first game of a doubleheader Saturday. The Owls lost the second game, 11-2, but recovered the next day with a 9-7 win.

The Owls have four games remaining, including a non-conference match-up against Villanova today at 3:15 p.m. in Plymouth Meeting.
If the season were to end today, the Owls would play Rhode Island (27-22, 14-9), who are fourth in the A-10 standings.

The Owls swept Rhode Island in a three-game series earlier in the season in Kingston, R.I.

The A-10 Tournament will take place in Camden, N.J. starting May 21.

Tyson McCloud can be reached at tyson@temple.edu.