Computer services announced

A number of new computer services coming to Temple University over the next several months were discussed at the Temple Student Government meeting on Feb. 24. Associate Vice President of Academic Computer Services Sheri Stahler

A number of new computer services coming to Temple University over the next several months were discussed at the Temple Student Government meeting on Feb. 24.

Associate Vice President of Academic Computer Services Sheri Stahler and Computer Lab Supervisor Gene Mayo spoke about the upgrades and new services that the University’s Computer Services Department is implementing.

The new services are mostly Internet-related, although several, such as a planned 24-hour computer lab and the new Surf Station laptop loan program in the Student Center, are geared to providing more computer access on campus.

A new email program will replace the delay-plagued Mailbox system after the end of the spring semester. The new email system will feature improved spam and virus filters, according to Stahler.

The Blackboard program, which alows professors to post class material on the Internet, will also be upgraded for the next academic year.

Access to programs like Blackboard, Owlnet and email are being streamlined.

A system called single log-in will make most information that previously had to be accessed through various websites available through a single site.

“You’ll be able to directly access Diamond Dollars, Owlnet, [email], directories and housing information…from [the University’s] gateway webpage,” Stahler said.

A program that allows students to save work on a server that can be accessed anywhere on campus was put into place this week.

The program, Central File Storage, can be downloaded from www.temple.edu/helpdesk.

Further in the future, the University is planning a 24-hour computer lab, tentatively titled Mega Lab. Construction of the new lab will be complete in two to four years, said Stahler.

“Right now, if the SCAT lab or a lab [for education majors] closes at eight, students cannot do their work,” Stahler said. “Mega Lab will solve this problem.”

The Student Assistance Center announced a Student Development Transcript, which documents student involvement in leadership positions at the University, and can be sent along with resumes when applying for a job.

The transcript will also include any honors and awards that a student has received.

Students can apply for the transcript at room A6 in the Student Center. Transcripts can be issued up to two years after graduation.

Saeko Komura can be reached at saekokomura@yahoo.co.jp.