Curriculum changes for incoming STHM students

A curriculum change is being applied to new students in STHM. This semester, the School of Tourism and Hospitality Management unveiled a modified undergraduate curriculum designed to better prepare students for post-graduate and professional careers.

A curriculum change is being applied to new students in STHM.

This semester, the School of Tourism and Hospitality Management unveiled a modified undergraduate curriculum designed to better prepare students for post-graduate and professional careers.

The revised curriculum, which applies to students who entered in the Fall 2011 semester and after, includes five new concentrations: destination management and marketing, hospitality operations, hospitality management, governance in sport and recreation promotion.

Both the sport and recreation management and tourism and hospitality management degree programs include a concentration in event leadership, as well.

The revised curriculum has been implemented to provide students with a more comprehensive preparation for the future, as industry leaders need incoming employees to be better acquainted with job expectations.

STHM last modified its curriculum approximately four years ago. Since then, the school has welcomed 14 new tenured and tenure-track professors, mostly to assist with curriculum expansion.

The school has also experienced an influx of students. The Fall 2011 class welcomed 201 freshmen and transfer students, a number that has grown 18 percent since the incoming class of 2010, which accepted approximately 170 students.

Senior STHM major Davey Paley said the new curriculum is easier for incoming students, but doesn’t compensate for upperclassmen who have already completed many of the requirements, some of which are now being consolidated.

“I don’t want to get a 3.2 GPA because I’m on the old curriculum, and a new student gets a 3.4 [GPA] because the curriculum is easier for them,” he said.

Both of the revised degree programs still require 124 credits, as the 2007 curriculum revision states. Students must also complete 250 industry hours, which can be logged through volunteering or internships.

Alexis Sachdev can be reached at alexis.sachdev@temple.edu.