Daring alternatives for competitive sweethearts

Exercise releases endorphins in the brain – the same chemical released when you and your loved one indulge in any kind of physical activity. If you and your sweetheart are in constant competition, Philadelphia offers

Exercise releases endorphins in the brain – the same chemical released when you and your loved one indulge in any kind of physical activity.

If you and your sweetheart are in constant competition, Philadelphia offers a wide range of athletic options for even the biggest couch potato to enjoy.

Fall in this city is beautiful, so pack a picnic basket and get outside before winter sets in. If it’s already too frigid for your taste, there are also plenty of indoor activities to warm up with.

Grab a Frisbee and make your way to East Park at Fairmount Park’s Sedgeley Woods. Disc Golf Course is located on Reservoir Drive at 33rd and Oxford streets.

The rules are very similar to golf. You want to complete the course in as little throws as possible. Disc Golf is a great way to both have fun and get some exercise with your date.

Play a relaxed match with just the two of you or let another couple come along for a competitive double date.

Fairmount Park also offers some interesting
classes for free held at Lloyd Hall which is located at 1 Boat House Row on Kelly Drive. Everybody loves a clown, so head down to Lloyd Hall Monday night with your date at 7:30 p.m. for juggling lessons.

Classes are held by the Philadelphia Jugglers Club and are usually held until 10 p.m. New members or beginners are always welcome.

Whether you’re a natural juggler or not, you and your date will definitely have a comical time.

Go Vertical indoor rock climbing. The only rock climbing gym in Philadelphia as well as the largest on the East Coast is located at 950 N. Penn St.

This is not only a fun way to work some endorphin-releasing into your date, but it is also a great way to build trust between you and your partner.

Supervised Climbing for beginners is offered every day of the week without an appointment at the cost of $18 for three climbs. Go Vertical is open Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.

If you and your partner are willing to splurge a little for an extreme dating adventure, check out Liberty Sailing School on Boat House Row.

They offer a two-day course certified by the Coast Guard for beginners to learn how to sail.

The Basic Keelboat Sailing course is offered on the weekends at a discounted price of $315 for two or more people while weekday classes are $309. Go to www.libertysailingschool.com for an application.

Cristina Perachio can be reached at cristina.perachio@temple.edu.