Diary of a Biker Dude

With all this talk about enemies you might think I’m a bitter biker dude, totally nuts and under the influence of rageahol. Incorrect! There are plenty of awesome things about biking in Philly. Here are

With all this talk about enemies you might think I’m a bitter biker dude, totally nuts and under the influence of rageahol. Incorrect! There are plenty of awesome things about biking in Philly. Here are four of them.

Wide Streets – These urban thruways are bike superhighways: there is plenty of room for you and vehicles to share the road. Washington, Moyamensing and Columbus Boulevard are just a few of Philadelphia’s widest streets. No worries about slamming into car doors, just sweet sweet cruisin’. Score!

West River Drive on weekends – OK, so we still have a month and a half to go, but NO CARS!!!! Believe it or not, West River Drive is closed to automobiles on weekends from April 1 to Oct. 31. That means you can coast along the smelly, uh, beautiful banks of the Schuylkill River without any vehicular interruptions. That’s sweeter than warm cookies on a snow day.

The Wissahickon Trail – Ever want to feel like you’re biking in the middle of the forest? You would, hippie. So slap on some patchouli and keep on coasting up West River Drive to the Wissahickon Trail. You may feel like you’re one with nature, but you’re actually one mile from Manayunk. Groovy, baby.

Columbus Boulevard – Not only is this road an easy ride, it also boasts a superb view of the city. There’s nothing more satisfying than passing an Ikea, a giant decaying boat, then seeing a beautiful skyline sitting on the horizon. It gets me feclempt every time.

James Saul can be reached at jamsaul@temple.edu.