Dr. Yannella appointed Associate Dean at Ambler

Dr. Philip Yannella, a member of Temple University’s faculty since 1970, recently accepted a job as Associate Dean for Curriculum and Planning at Ambler. As he starts this challenging position, he looks forward to making

Dr. Philip Yannella, a member of Temple University’s faculty since 1970, recently accepted a job as Associate Dean for Curriculum and Planning at Ambler. As he starts this challenging position, he looks forward to making changes and promoting the Ambler campus.

“I am excited to be involved in the development of these new programs. They are relevant to the students and are bound to take off in the upcoming years,” — Dr. Philip Yannella

“It is a beautiful campus with a lot to offer. It has not yet been discovered, but it will soon be a magnet for incoming freshmen,” he said.

Yannella has been a professor of English and American Studies at Temple for over 13 years. In addition, he served as the Chair of the American Studies program from 1983 to 1990, 1992 to 1994, and 1998 to 2000. He also served as the president of the Faculty Union.

In 1997, he was given the College of Arts and Sciences “Distinguished Teaching” award as well as the University’s “Great Teacher” award. The same year he won a “Choice Distinguished Academic Book Award” for his book “The Other Carl Sandburg.”

Besides Philadelphia, he has taught in China and Japan, as well as serving as director for the USIA/Fulbright “Summer Institute.”
While at Main Campus, Yannella taught Contemporary Trends in the American Workplace, Radicalism in the United States, Survey of American Literature 117 and spearheaded the course America in the 1950s, but left before he could teach the course.

Last year, he was asked to move away from the academic climate and help with the planning for Ambler. He immediately agreed and has not regretted his decision. In his fourth week, he began recruiting and planning for new majors such as Undergraduate and Masters in Community and Regional Planning.

“I am excited to be involved in the development of these new programs. They are relevant to the students and are bound to take off in the upcoming years,” Yanella said.

Although he enjoys his new position and plans to remain there for many years, Yannella wishes to start teaching again in September 2002.
“I miss not being able to perform for the students every semester,” he said.

Even if it is just for one course, his students are sure to applaud his return. As a favorite professor among many of his former students, Yannella has already made an impact at Temple and is sure to continue leaving his mark in the years to come.