Event shows support for fighting cancer

Temple University has teamed up with the American Cancer Society in an effort to support those who are battling cancer. The American Cancer Society will host Relay for Life event April 16 and 17 on

Temple University has teamed up with the American Cancer Society in an effort to support those who are battling cancer.

The American Cancer Society will host Relay for Life event April 16 and 17 on Temple’s Main campus. Teams of eight to 15 people will set up camp at McGonigle Hall’s track to prove their dedication to finding a cure for cancer.

“We just want to encourage everybody to come out and participate,” said Michelle Maksoud of the American Cancer Society. “It’s important because so many people have been touched by cancer and this is a way to honor a survivor. It’s a way to contribute your time to a good cause, and it’s about a community coming together and taking up the fight against cancer.”

Although most Relay for Life events usually last 24 hours to symbolize that people living with cancer are reminded of the disease 24 hours a day, the event will only last 18 hours because it is the first event of its kind to take place at Temple.

While both the number of teams involved and the amount of money raised usually varies, each member on a team is being asked to raise a minimum of $100. Maksoud said she hopes to reach a goal of at least $5,000 and says she “would like to see this goal at 10 teams.”

Doors will open at 3 p.m. and registration will begin at 5 p.m. Opening ceremonies start at 6 p.m.

The Relay for Life will kick off the weekend-long event with all members of each team walking the first lap around the track together. Each team is expected to keep at least one team member on the track at all times.

At 7 p.m., a Survivor’s Ceremony will present several cancer survivors who will speak about what it was like for them to be diagnosed with the disease and how they coped throughout their illness. The ceremony will continue as cancer survivors walk a lap around the track to a separate reception where they will be given survivor pins.

Later in the evening, luminaries will be lit in remembrance of those who have died in the struggle against cancer.

After the day’s ceremonies, teams will be kept busy with a variety of entertainment. A DJ will be present for the evening, and contests including the “bad hair day contest” and the “best evening gown contest” will highlight the night’s talent show.

“We’ll keep everybody up for the whole 18 hours,” said Maksoud.

To make a contribution to Relay for Life, ask questions or purchase a luminaria for $5, contact Maksoud at the American Cancer Society at michelle.maksoud@cancer.org.

Lindsay Walters can be reached at lindsayw@temple.edu.