Families spend time outdoors at Philadelphia Kite Festival

The seventh annual Philadelphia Kite Festival took place at Penn Treaty Park on Saturday. The event featured kite workshops, face painting and performances from bands like salsa group Orquestra del Barrio.  Families took advantage of

The seventh annual Philadelphia Kite Festival took place at Penn Treaty Park on Saturday. The event featured kite workshops, face painting and performances from bands like salsa group Orquestra del Barrio. 

Families took advantage of the open green space and sunny skies during the festival from noon to 5 p.m.

“You couldn’t ask for a better day,” said Dave Brett, a 42-year-old Fishtown resident, as he helped his daughter, Evelyn, fly her kite.  

Brian Wynder, a 35-year-old Fishtown resident, has attended the kite festival with his family for years. 

“We come to this park all the time,” he said. “We stumbled upon it the first time by chance, and now we’ve been coming back every year.” 

The festival featured a kite show from the award-winning South Jersey Kite Flyers. It is supported by groups like the Penn Treaty Special Services District and the nonprofit Friends of Penn Treaty Park.

“It’s a chance to spend time in the community, enjoy the weather and fly some kites,” Brett said.