Field hockey suffers fifth-straight loss

Despite leading at the half, the Owls fall 3-2 against American. Field hockey suffered a 3-2 loss to American on Oct. 2 in Washington, D.C., as Temple was outshot 3-20 in their fifth-straight loss. Three

Temple's #29 Sophomore Forward Lauren Hunt
JAZMYNE ANDERSON TTN Sophomore forward Lauren Hunt

Despite leading at the half, the Owls fall 3-2 against American.

Field hockey suffered a 3-2 loss to American on Oct. 2 in Washington, D.C., as Temple was outshot 3-20 in their fifth-straight loss.

Three minutes into the first half, Owls’ senior forward Caryn Lambright was able to beat Eagles’ sophomore goalkeeper Ashley Dalisera to put the Owls up by one. Despite numerous shots on goal and a 5-2 margin in penalty corners, American was unable to capitalize on any of their opportunities in the first half, allowing the Owls to keep their lead going into halftime.

“We had a strong first half,” coach Amanda Janney said. “We came out with a lot of intensity.”

In the second period, the Eagles were able to increase their intensity on offense. After 44 minutes of play, Eagles’ sophomore forward Jaclyn Anspach took advantage of a deflected shot and fired the ball past Owls’ sophomore goalkeeper Lizzy Millen to even the score.

The American offense would continue to strike against a hapless Temple defense. Eleven minutes after Anspach’s goal, senior defender Tatum Dyer was able to give American its first lead of the game on a converted penalty stroke. At the 59 minute mark, the Owls fell to an even larger deficit when Eagles’ freshman midfielder Canon Hirschler scored on a rebound to give American a two-goal lead.

However, the Owls did not go down quietly. With less than two minutes left in regulation, freshman midfielder Amber Youtz scored on Temple’s final shot of the game to pull the Owls within one. After removing Millen in the final seconds to gain an extra attack player on offense, the Owls were unable to score again and the Eagles would go on to win the match, 3-2.

Janney had some positive things to say about Owls’ junior forward Katie Briglia despite the loss.

“[Briglia] had one of her best games of the season,” Janney said.

Briglia, who assisted on the Lambright goal to help Temple take an early lead, was pleased with the team’s overall performance regardless of the score.

“Our overall hustle was really strong today,” Briglia said. “We’ll continue to learn from our mistakes [to get ready] for the [Atlantic Ten Conference].”

The Owls, 3-9 in their pre-conference games, will face crosstown A-10 rival St. Joseph’s on Friday.  The matchup will be the first of the Owls’ six conference games this month.

Hayley Condon can be reached at hayley.nicole.condon@temple.edu.