Field Hockey suffers loss from top-ranked Maryland

In a game where the Owls could only muster two shots, falling to defending NCAA champion Maryland 6-0 on Monday, the squad looks to recoup its losses. The Terrapins (2-0), who have won four national

JAZ TTN Senior Forward Bridget Settles
JAZMYNE ANDERSON TTN. Senior forward Bridget Settles attempts to control possession of the ball against Maryland on Monday.

In a game where the Owls could only muster two shots, falling to defending NCAA champion Maryland 6-0 on Monday, the squad looks to recoup its losses.

The Terrapins (2-0), who have won four national titles in the past six years, scored four goals in the first period to take a commanding lead.  Maryland then went on to add two more goals in the second period.

“It was a pretty fast-paced game,” coach Amanda Janney said.  “I think Maryland is a very talented team, they deserve the ranking that they have.”

Janney said facing a tough opponent early on in the season can have its advantages, as long as the team rebounds from the loss.

“Having a challenge like this where Maryland was able to expose some weaknesses gives us an opportunity to fix them, and find out what we need to work on and move forward,” Janney said.  “There’s a lot of talented teams out there and if we don’t play them, we can’t beat them.”

Maryland’s offensive attack was led by freshman midfielder Katie Gerzabek and sophomore forward Jill Witmer who each tallied two goals in the game.  Senior midfielder Jemma Buckley also scored and had two assists.

The Cherry and White (1-1) had its chances around the opponent’s net, but stiff defense by Maryland prevented the Owls from getting shots off.  Terrapins’ sophomore goalkeeper Natalie Hunter blocked the Owls’ lone shot on goal from freshman forward Amber Youtz.

“I know we had a lot of good plays for like minutes at a time, we just need to string those together more,” said senior forward Bridget Settles, who also recorded a shot.

“We’re playing with a new system, so a team as good as they are exposed it a lot,” Settles added.  “So now we know what we need to work on in practice.  So I think that’s something we can take to the next game.”

Janney said the game was a “good learning experience” for the team and that she subbed younger players in the game to give them the opportunity to play against a talented opponent.

“[The game] really opened up a lot of things we need to work on,” senior forward Caryn Lambright said.  “I think that if the people that played can push themselves further in practice and everything like that, then the rest of the team is just going to take from that as well.”

The Owls will square off against No. 9 Michigan next on Saturday.  The game starts at noon at Geasey Field.

Connor Showalter can be reached at connor.showalter@temple.edu