Field hockey team drops season finale at Lock Haven

The Cherry and White fall to the Bald Eagles on the road.

After appearing strong in the opening minutes on the road against Lock Haven, the field hockey team suffered a 2-1 loss to conclude its regular season Sunday.

“This one is shocking and painful,” senior forward Caryn Lambright said. “We were the better team and we had so many chances to jump on them.”

The Owls learned soon after the game that they’re playoff hopes were secure, as they received the No. 3 seed in the Atlantic Ten Conference Tournament. They will face off against No. 2 Massachusetts at 2 p.m. on Friday at St. Joseph’s.

The Cherry and White looked dominating during the first 10 minutes in the game by creating opportunity after opportunity for themselves.  At the 15 minute mark, the Bald Eagles made one strong push all the way down the field and drew a penalty corner. Lock Haven  (10-10, 3-3 A-10) converted on the set play when sophomore defenseman Kelly Harsh ripped a direct shot from the point that snuck past Temple’s sophomore goaltender Lizzy Millen.

“We started off the game with all the momentum,” coach Amanda Janney said. “We were creating better scoring chances but couldn’t convert. It hurt when they went right down the field once and earn a quick goal. It really changed the momentum of the game.”

Harsh’s goal turned out to be the only score in the first half as the Owls found themselves down 1-0 at halftime. But, Lock Haven’s lead did not last for long in the second half.

Four minutes into the second half the Owls got on the scoreboard courtesy of a goal from senior defenseman Carissa Young. Young redirected a hard shot taken by junior forward Katie Briglia.

“[Briglia] ripped a shot and I was able to redirect it and get our team on the scoreboard,” Young said. “We had a lot of chances all day, it was great to finally convert on one.”

After the Owls evened the score at one a piece, the momentum was back on their side. The Cherry and White continued to put shots on goal and earn penalty corners. Unfortunately the squad failed to capitalize on its opportunities.

Five minutes after Young scored the tying goal, the momentum died for the Owls when senior midfielder Becca Keener received a yellow card. Not only would Temple be down a player the next 10 minutes of the game, but the Eagles earned a penalty stroke. Freshman forward Megan Evens scored on the penalty stroke giving Lock Haven the lead 2-1.

The Owls continued to fight a player down for the next 10 minutes, but they were not able to overcome the disadvantage. There were 17 minutes left in regulation when the Owls returned to even strength, but they were not successful in their attempts to tie the game as they lost 2-1.

“We need to move forward, regroup, have a great week of practice and prepare for the Atlantic Ten tournament,” Lambright said.

Kieran McCauley can be reached at

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.