Finding fellow Owls at work

The Alumni Association works to connect alumni of all ages to socialize and network.

The Temple Alumni Association has been representing graduates for more than half a century.

Currently 260,000 students from every corner of the globe, including all 50 states and more than 160 countries are represented by the alumni association.

Alumni also assist with the university’s Career Center.

According to surveys conducted by the center, Temple graduates are finding employment in the workforce.
The survey showed the number of Temple alumni employed rose from 56 percent in 2003 to 81 percent in 2007.

The number of Temple alumni who land jobs related to their majors rose from 67 percent in 2003 to 81 percent in 2007. This reflects employment status at the time the survey was given, six months to a year after graduation.

The unemployment rate of Temple’s alumni has dropped from 15 percent in 2003 to 7 percent in 2007.
The alumni association sponsors shared interest and regional groups for its members. It also hosts programs such as “Young Alumni” and “Senior Scholars.”

Christina Brady of the Office of Alumni Relations said the association offers “a wide variety of events” that appeal to many audiences.

Events include golf outings and educational tours of museums conducted by the university’s faculty members.

The Alumni Association provides benefits and services for its members as well. Benefits range from various types of insurances to career services.

The Temple University Young Alumni also hosts events for younger graduates.

Listed in a pamphlet for the Temple Young Alumni are events like Happy Hours, a Business Card Exchange, Homecoming, Alumni Weekend, TUYA seminars and workshops. Young Alumni will also host a “Down at the Shore” weekend in New Jersey during the month of July. Festivities include a barbecue, golf tournament and a football fan fest.

Megan McDaniel can be reached at megan.mcdaniel@temple.edu.