Finding love in an education

When Rob Hall was 17, he told his girlfriend he didn’t have any money to do anything for her for their first Valentine’s Day together.

feature_opinion
ASHLEY NGUYEN TTN In a three-year relationship, Rob Hall is still “juggling his options” for Valentine’s Day.

But Hall was sure to get to school before her that day, stuffing her locker with teddy bears and candy.
Three years later, the two are still together and living in North Philadelphia.

“She’s a West Philly girl and I’m from North Philly,” Hall said, adding that the two attended Paul Robeson High School at 4125 Ludlow St. in West Philadelphia.

Now graduated, Hall is a student at the University of Phoenix, located at 30 S. 17th St. in Center City, where he is studying business management in order to work toward his goal of becoming an entrepreneur and better understanding local businesses, such as barbershops in his community.

And, as education brought Hall and his girlfriend together, it will be their stick-factor as well. Hall said he loves her because “she’s got her head on straight.”

“She’s about to go to school, but not only is she about to go, she wants to go,” Hall said. “That’s the most important part. She wants something for herself.”

To treat her this Valentine’s Day, Hall said he may take her to the Cheesecake Factory in King of Prussia or cook for her at home.

“[Valentine’s Day] is a day that women enjoy,” he said, “so for them to enjoy you, you have to participate.”

Ashley Nguyen can be reached at ashley.nguyen@temple.edu.