FOOTBALL PREVIEW: 2023

The Temple News has everything you need to know about the Owls’ 2023 football season.

Temple Football looks to improve from their 3-9 record in 2022. | ROBERT JOSEPH CRUZ / THE TEMPLE NEWS

Last season, Temple Football finished 3-9 under first-year head coach Stan Drayton. Despite the lackluster record, there was an air of optimism for the future of the program. Now, with 50 new players and three new coaches, this is a new-look team with young stars that could compete in the new-look American Athletic Conference.

But just what makes this team different? How did Drayton manage to flip expectations for his team in a year? Who is quarterback E.J. Warner, and how did he make such an impact last year? What makes the culture of this unit different? Can Temple win its first bowl game since 2017?

Here, we try to provide insight into some of those questions. Welcome to the 2023 TTN Sports Football Preview.

Follow @TheTempleNews and @ttn.sports on all social platforms for even more content.

| ALLYSON THARP / THE TEMPLE NEWS

“Building that trust”: Drayton resets the culture of Temple Football

Going into his second season as head coach, Stan Drayton is rebuilding Temple Football’s culture. | CHARLOTTE SAUNDERS / THE TEMPLE NEWS
With 50 new players and new-look AAC, the Owls are looking for a fresh start from last season. | CHARLOTTE SAUNDERS / THE TEMPLE NEWS
After showing extreme promise in his freshman season, E.J. Warner is expected to be the main factor to Temple’s matchup against Akron. | ROBERT JOSEPH CRUZ / THE TEMPLE NEWS

STAFF PICKS

| ALLYSON THARP / THE TEMPLE NEWS
D’Wan Mathis in a team huddle during Temple’s 2022 matchup against the University of Tulsa. | ROBERT JOSEPH CRUZ / THE TEMPLE NEWS
E.J. Warner, son of NFL Hall of Fame quarterback Kurt Warner, threw for over 3,000 yards last season and was named a Freshman All-American. | ROBERT JOSEPH CRUZ / THE TEMPLE NEWS