Temple should remain true to its 20/20 plan and revitalize “1500.”
Temple’s “1500” was once a mansion praised for its architecture and status. Now, it’s a vacant building, seemingly lost in history.
As Sean Carlin reports on Page 1, the building, which sits on the corner of Broad and Jefferson streets, was once home to a popular day care and the Center for Social Policy and Community Development.
After a fire and some tough financial decision-making, officials decided to close the building. At the time, it seemed as though the property would be sold-and, hopefully, utilized for something worthwhile.
However, 16 years after its closing, the building remains in Temple’s name –but not in its priorities.
Trees in front of the house helps to conceal the gated-off building. Apart from a small red sign, marks of Temple’s presence, which are so abundant just a few blocks north, are nowhere to be found.
The building, which has been in Temple’s ownership since the 1970s, once played a significant role in the lives of Temple students and faculty.
Now, the boarded-up windows and weathered exterior demonstrate neglect by the university.
Administrators should be reminded of the building’s rich past and its part in our university’s history.
One of the university’s focal points in its elaborate 20/20 plan is to “work within its existing footprint.” The Temple News suggests administrators reevaluate the building and find a use for it, to whatever degree possible.
If the historical nature of the property prevents the university from scrapping the building, officials should make a mindful decision to invest in preserving it or consider new efforts to sell it.
Solid plans to revamp and more efficiently preserve “1500” should be brought up soon, before Temple’s new projects leave the historic building in its shadow.