Forum engages Main Campus and community

The Metro-Engagement Forum ran from Feb. 22 to 23 and gave a glimpse of what Temple does around the community. “The forum shows the synergy between faculty and students who are advancing the community,” said

The Metro-Engagement Forum ran from Feb. 22 to 23 and gave a glimpse of what Temple does around the community.

“The forum shows the synergy between faculty and students who are advancing the community,” said Betsy Leebron Tutelman, an organizer of this event, as well as the senior vice provost for strategic initiatives said.

“The Metro-Engagement Forum created a new level of awareness about Temple’s deep involvement with the greater community and its commitment to helping solve the many issues the region faces,” Tutelman said. “I was happy to see faculty and staff connecting to create new alliances that can further our research and creative initiatives and strengthen our ties to the community.”

The projects that were shown were those that took several semesters to complete.

Pepón Osorio and Charlene Melhorn from the Tyler School of Art presented “Homemade: Stories of Students in the Community.”

Their focus was on families that the students worked with in the community. The students created art for a wedding and for a Quinceanera.

“There was a lot of give and take between the students and the community. They came together, and there was a sense of reciprocity,” Osorio said during the presentation.

Professor Joyce Joyce from the English department showed clips of Sonia Sanchez, an author and poet who taught at Temple. Joyce discussed the Black Arts Movement, and the audience that musicians were aiming for after the 1960s.

A screening of “Top Secret Rosies,” a documentary about female “computers,” or mathemeticians, that helped the military during World War II. The film was presented by Director LeAnn Erickson and was followed with a question-and-answer session.

On Feb. 23, from 9 a.m to 1 p.m, the forum hosted walking tours of places such as the Urban Archives in Paley Library and the Main Anthropology Lab in Gladfelter Hall.

Olga Quejada, a Temple alumna, said, “I didn’t know any of this existed when I was a student here”.

The Tyler Art gallery had sculptures created by undergraduate students.

“There were sculptures made of clay that were larger than life. They had fabric that had food in it. It was interesting,” Quejada said.

The Wagner Free Institute of Science on 17th and Montgomery streets also held an open house.

“The Metro-Engagement Forum is a way to get people aware of the research that Temple University does,” Abby Shepherd, an owl ambassador, said.

From 2:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., the forum switched to Conversation Pods, which gave presenters a chance to visually show what they were doing in the community.

Stephanie Lauredent can be reached at slauredent@temple.edu.

1. The Long Haul Movie
    After being discharged from the U.S. Army in Germany, Harry reluctantly follows his wife to England where he lands a job as a truck driver. It is not long before his boss, Joe Easy, tries to involve the ex G.I. in a smuggling operation. Harry first resists but Joe throws Lynn, his own mistress, into his arms and he soon forsakes his scruples. After Lynn has become his lover Harry leaves his wife. When he feels he has made enough money, he considers getting back to the States with Lynn. But just then an accident happens to Butch, his young son… Written by Guy Bellinger
    Download The Long Haul Movie – Click HERE!