Freshman runner breaks two records

Freshman distance runner Jenna Dubrow continues to see early success in her freshman year as a part of the cross country and track programs. After establishing herself as the Owl’s top cross country runner  this

Freshman distance runner Jenna Dubrow continues to see early success in her freshman year as a part of the cross country and track programs.

After establishing herself as the Owl’s top cross country runner  this past fall, Dubrow began breaking records with her time of 10 minutes, 15 seconds and 64 milliseconds in the 3000-meter run at the Jack Pyrah Invitational held on Dec. 2, 2011 at Villanova University. Dubrow’s time broke Temple’s previous record of 10:21.51 in the 3,000 meter set last year by Rebecca Mim, a 2011 alumna.

“Honestly I hadn’t looked up the records before. I didn’t know I had broken the record until after the race,” Dubrow said. “My game plan was to run as close to my high school [personal record] and I ran within 15 seconds.”

Although the performance is great for her confidence, Dubrow and coach Matt Jelley are putting the record in to perspective.

“Obviously it’s good for my confidence,” Dubrow said. “I was talking to coach Jelley though and we agreed its just chance I broke the record.”

Dubrow shattered another record on Friday at the New York City Gotham Cup at the Armory in New York. Her time of 18:12.51 in the 5,000 meter broke Sheila D’Alo’s time of 19:00.02 set back in 1982.

Even after the cross country season in the fall, and with the indoor track season well underway, Dubrow said she is holding up well physically.

“Obviously I was a little scared going in to my freshman year because its a lot more running,” Dubrow said. “But I’m pretty confident in Jelley’s training. If I’m a little sore I can let him know and we’ll work on it.”

Daniel Craig can be reached at daniel.craig@temple.edu.