From court to the Liacouras Center

Television judge Greg Mathis takes the stage at the Liacouras Center later this month in “Tell It To The Judge,” Laterras Whitfield’s play about love, hate and knowing when to seek guidance from a higher

Television judge Greg Mathis takes the stage at the Liacouras Center later this month in “Tell It To The Judge,” Laterras Whitfield’s play about love, hate and knowing when to seek guidance from a higher authority.

Mathis, star of the WB’s nationally syndicated reality court program, Judge Mathis, is the perfect fit for his role in “Tell it to the Judge.” As a young man, Mathis had many run-ins with the law, contrary to his current position as a no-nonsense man of the law. When the young delinquent came into the courtroom of one particular judge, he was offered a chance to change his life with one simple choice: get a GED or go to jail. Mathis chose to get his GED and even went to law school. In 1995, he became one of the youngest-elected judges in the nation.

In addition to his television persona, Mathis is renown for his commitment to civil rights, as well as causes related to politics, church and the youth. He founded the Young Adults Asserting Themselves in 1986 to offer young men and women career opportunities and job training, as well as school and job placement. Greg Mathis has raised over $2 million to date.

As for Judge Greg Mathis, life couldn’t be better. His autobiography, “Inner City Miracle,” was released in October 2002 and continues to receive great reviews. Judge Mathis is one of the highest rated courtroom reality programs in the nation.

“Tell it to the Judge” is part of an already successful season for the Liacouras Center. “Audiences loved our recent production of ‘Just be a Man About it,'” said Neil Sulkes, General Manager of the Liacouras Center. “We feel strongly that theater-lovers will enjoy “Tell it to the Judge.'”

Mathis isn’t the only celebrity in “Tell it to the Judge.” Gospel singer Lecresia Campbell, Grammy-nominated musician Derrick Brinkley and Kenny Howell of BET’s Comic View round out the cast.

Tickets, ranging from $24.50 – $34.50, can be purchased at the Liacouras Center Box Office or through TicketMaster.

The show runs Nov. 25 – 29, showing daily at 8 p.m. and an additional Saturday matinee at 3:30 p.m. There will also be a 3 p.m. matinee, followed by a 7:30 p.m. show on Sunday, Nov. 30.

For information regarding special group discounts, parking and venue details, visit the Liacouras Center Web site at https://www.liacourascenter.com.

Marta Rusek can be reached at mrusek@temple.edu.