Get engaged in elections, students

With midterm elections just around the corner, students need to register to vote and learn about the candidates.

A new Democratic campaign office opened in Progress Plaza on Aug. 28. There’s a reason so many campaigns target Main Campus — less than half of college students voted in the 2012 and 2016 presidential elections.

The turnout for midterm elections are even worse: only 18 percent of college students voted in the 2014 midterm elections. 

It’s important for students to understand their responsibility to local government. We spend nearly two-thirds of the year physically living in North Philadelphia, and many go on to live in Philadelphia after we graduate.

Whether you vote Democrat, Republican or independent, take advantage of the organizations around campus that will help you register to vote. What happens in local government impacts our daily lives the most — like City Council, which will decide the fate of Temple projects like the Alpha Center and the proposed on-campus football stadium.

In addition to being public participants, we hope students also make sure they are informed voters. There are so many ways to do that. You can research the candidates independently, or even read The Temple News’ coverage of this year’s elections.

If you haven’t registered to vote, you can go to do so online, but the deadline is Oct. 9 to register in Pennsylvania.