‘Glory Road’ star helps register voters at Temple

Josh Lucas helps the Obama campaign at Temple University on the last day for voter registration.

For the past several weeks students were guaranteed to run into an Obama campaign worker at least once, if not twice on campus. Campaign workers would ask students if they were registered to vote and the resulting response would either be “yes” or a shrug, especially if they were in a hurry to get to class.

Despite the latter response, the Obama campaign has been thorough in getting voters registered. To encourage enthusiasm on campus, the Obama campaign received assistance on Oct. 6 from actor Josh Lucas.

Actor Josh Lucas poses with a cardboard cutout of Sen. Barack Obama to get more voters to register at Temple University (Joshua Fernandez/TTN).

Lucas, best known for his roles in Sweet Home Alabama and Glory Road, volunteered on campus because he wanted to make sure Temple had a voice on Election Day.

“Temple is a big powerhouse. A lot of people from the Obama campaign think there are a lot of students who aren’t registered and a lot of students who want to be,” Lucas said.

“To me it’s an incredibly clear choice. You have this very positive, forceful and hopeful ideology of change, of bringing a real transition to this country,” he added. “I think anyone who is aware, realizes that this country is in a very difficult and dark state, because of, in my opinion, the Republican administration and the way the country has been run.”

Zach Friend, a spokesperson for the Obama campaign, said an overwhelming number of voters that registered were Democrats.

Lucas said Obama and Biden have a specific and clear plan on how to bring change to this country.
The actor’s ability to connect with students attracted many to 13th and Berks streets, where a majority of Obama campaign workers were located. He spoke to passing students, getting them involved in the political process.

Lucas said he enjoys involving others in politics.

“Like Obama said in his speech, this is about you, it’s not about me,” Lucas said. “It’s about going out and there and saying I’m one of the people fighting for change.”

Friend said the next goal of the campaign is to transition from registration to voter mobilization.

Lucas emphasized the importance of a single vote.

“John Kerry lost in one particular part of Pennsylvania by a 1,000 votes only,” Lucas said. “So you can’t necessarily say to me that your vote doesn’t count.”

Joshua Fernandez can be reached at josh.fernandez@temple.edu.