Golf places third in season-opening invitational

Sophomore Paul Carbone and senior Devin Bibeau led the Owls with eighth and 11th place finishes.

Consistency is the name of the game in golf, and coach Brian Quinn thinks his team is one player away from having a really successful season.

The Owls finished third at the Navy Fally Classic held in Annapolis, Md. Quinn was happy with the way his team played this past weekend, but still pointed out the faults that kept them from leaping North Dakota State and St. Bonaventure who finished first and second in the tournament.

“We could’ve played better, it was a good start to the year and really gives us something to build on,” Quinn said. “We need to solidify our five spot and get someone to contribute from their every week.”

The Owls were led for the weekend by sophomore Paul Carbone and senior Devin Bibeau who finished eighth and 11th with scores of (+2) and (+3) respectively. Right behind Carbone and Bibeau was freshman Brandon Matthews whose score of (+4) was good for a 14th place finish in his first collegiate tournament. The final two scores for the Owls were junior Matt Crescenzo and sophomore Mike Amole who finished in 28th and 54th respectively. Matthews said he felt good about putting his first tournament behind him but knows he didn’t play to the level that he is capable of.

“It was a great experience and I definitely learned a lot, although I wish I played better I know what I need to work on,” Matthews said. “[Carbone] and [Bibeau] played great, we all played solid golf, we could’ve played better though.”

Bibeau who is beginning his senior season sees this as a great building block for the team heading through the rest of the fall season and eventually the spring.

“I thought it was a good start to our season, I hope we can build upon our first event,” Bibeau said. “We need to focus down the stretch, we we’re a few strokes away from the lead at one point but we definitely cost ourselves a few strokes and a at least a second place finish.”

Temple will now prepare themselves for The McLaughlin at Bethpage Golf Club in Bethpage, N.Y. Quinn is trying to get his team focused to now make mental mistakes that could end up costing them more than it did this weekend.

“It was good to get this under our belt, we have lots of work to do individually,” Quinn said. “Each kid had some questionable decision making that we really need to work on.”

Anthony Bellino can be reached at anthony.bellino@temple.edu.