Gouveia silences Owls’ bats

Team struck out 12 times.

Temple dropped its fifth straight game, 2-1, to Loyola Marymount on Saturday at the University of South Florida Under Armour Invitational.

The Owls faced Lions’ pitcher Sydney Gouveia, who was coming off a stellar performance at the Amy S. Harrison Classic. In four appearances, Gouveia won four games, struck out 28 and had a 0.33 ERA.

“Their pitcher’s good,” coach Joe DiPietro said.

The Owls could not get anything going against the right-handed Gouveia, who stuck out 12 Owls in seven innings. Temple had  two hits and Gouveia walked only three.

“We just didn’t hit because we were up against a really tough pitcher,” DiPietro said. “It’s their number one pitcher. I think she’s one of the top pitchers in the country. We weren’t able to get anything going against her. And that’s what happens sometimes. You go up against a really good pitcher, and she just shuts you down.”

Opposing Gouveia was Temple’s right-hander Kelsey Dominik, who pitched a solid game but was overshadowed by Gouveia.

“She pitched great,” DiPietro said. “We just went up against a really good pitcher. We didn’t really hit. It was a good game. We just came up one run short.”

Dominik allowed two runs on seven hits, while striking out one and walking one.

Loyola Marymount scored runs in the first and sixth, and Temple’s lone run came with two outs in the seventh, when sophomore second baseman Leah Lucas hit a solo home run.

Moving forward, DiPietro’s plan for his team is simple.

“We need to hit a little bit better,” DiPietro said. “Take advantage of some of the situations we’re being put in, and do the little things we need to do to get a win. We’ll be fine.”

Don McDermott can be reached at donald.mcdermott@temple.edu.