Green-friendly events found on campus, in city

Last week’s GreenFest Philly marked the beginning of a season of eco-focused events placed not only around Philly but on Main Campus as well.

Last Sunday, environmental festival GreenFest Philly served as a great opportunity to engage in the ever-growing green movement and eco-friendly organizations based in Philadelphia.Picture 5

GreenFest hosted a number of vendors, including those who promoted organic cleaning supplies, car shares and sustainable energy and food products. Organizations in attendance included Zipcar, BioNeighbors Sustainable Homes, PennEnvironment, the Philadelphia Orchard Project, SCA and Shaklee, all of which are worth checking out.

If you missed GreenFest, it’s OK – future sustainable-themed events both at Temple and in the Philadelphia area are coming up to help provide fun, education and maybe some free stuff.

Educating yourself on the issues and taking a proactive approach to helping our planet are two of the most important things you can do, so mark your calendars for these events.

This weekend, Sept. 25 – 26, the Sheraton Philadelphia Center City Hotel and the Comcast Center hosts the 2009 World Green Energy Symposium. Speakers, businessmen, students and government leaders from across America will come together to discuss new and exciting green technological advancements and issues. Students can register online at the conference’s Web site to get a free pass to Friday’s events.

On Oct. 3, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., ¡Festival Verde! will take place on Eighth and Berks streets, two blocks away from Main Campus. It will help teach North Philadelphians the benefits of living a green lifestyle and will involve providing information and giving demonstrations on energy efficient storm water management and gardening.

Temple will host Campus Sustainability Oct. 21, which will run from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Bell Tower. Both Temple clubs and outside organizations will ban together, so that Temple students can dedicate three hours to learning about environmental issues and have some fun as they do so.

Attending events like these are a great way to get involved with the community, but it shouldn’t take a trip to a fancy conference to persuade students to convert to a greener lifestyle. Get motivated and become more involved by simply going outside and taking a look around.

Laura Fanciullacci can be reached at laura.fanciullacci@temple.edu.