Hart brings years of administration and fundraising expertise

This summer Temple welcomed its ninth president, Dr. Ann Weaver Hart, to begin her “freshman year” as the university’s president along with the class of 2010. Hart took office on July 1 after a nationwide

This summer Temple welcomed its ninth president, Dr. Ann Weaver Hart, to begin her “freshman year” as the university’s president along with the class of 2010.

Hart took office on July 1 after a nationwide search by a specially appointed Presidential Search Committee, which comprised of select board of trustee members as well as student and faculty representatives.

As the university’s first female president, Hart is replacing former president David Adamany, who announced his retirement in January.

Before being chosen as Temple’s new president,
Hart was the president of the University of New Hampshire.
She began her career at the University of Utah, and later served as provost and vice president for Academic Affairs at Claremont Graduate University in Claremont, Calif., outside of Los Angeles.

During the search process in April, a concern of many students on campus was if Hart was experienced
enough to run such a large and diverse university
as Temple.

Hart said that although the University of New Hampshire, with a student population that is 94 percent white, is drastically different from Temple, she does have experience in urban higher education.

“My official professional career has actually prepared me more for this kind of setting, than for a small, research university where 94 percent of the students live on or near campus, and attend full time,” Hart said.

“This, in many ways, is a return to my roots.”

In April, Hart met with groups of students, faculty and staff members to introduce herself, answer questions and share her plans for the future of the university.

One point that Hart spoke particularly about was her commitment to continue the university’s growing relationship with the surrounding community.

“Great cities need great universities, and great universities need great cities,” Hart said.

“And the surrounding neighborhood of Temple is one of the important parts of the future success of Temple in achieving that original mission and a commitment to access [to] excellence.”

Emily Catalano can be reached at catalano@temple.edu.