Hart introduces task force to address community relations

In light of complaints from area residents about unruly students, President Ann Weaver Hart recently proposed a new Community and Student Issues and Concerns Task Force. The committee, chaired by Dean of Students Stephanie Ives,

In light of complaints from area residents about unruly students, President Ann Weaver Hart recently proposed a new Community and Student Issues and Concerns Task Force.

The committee, chaired by Dean of Students Stephanie Ives, will address student behavior both on and off Main Campus.

“It’s about blending cultures,” Temple Student Government Student Body President Colin Saltry said.

Appointed members will come from university counsel, government, community and public affairs, Campus Safety, Student Affairs (Student Activities, Dean of Students, Housing and Residential Life), athletics, community members, community realtors, and undergraduate students, according to a letter from the Executive Office of the President.

Temple Student Government will appoint student representatives to the committee.

Saltry stressed the need for student input on the committee.

“As much as we love the administration, they don’t live in this neighborhood,” Saltry said.

“The Community & Student Issues and Concerns Task Force is charged with developing recommendations for a comprehensive approach to policies, programming, services, and assessment with respect to student behavior, safety, awareness, and related concerns,” according to a memo by Hart.

Saltry, TSG Vice President of External Affairs Elliot Griffin and TSG Vice President of Services Ugo Obilo discussed the task force at a monthly meeting with Hart, Ives, Vice President for Student Affairs Theresa Powell, Chief of Staff William T. Bergman and Deputy Chief of Staff Anne K. Nadol.

TSG members also discussed it with the university’s Board of Trustees.

The committee was set to be established by Sept. 26 and the first meeting is scheduled for Oct. 11. Interim reports will be given every two weeks, beginning on Oct. 15.

By Jan. 16 of next year, the final report is scheduled for submission, according to Hart’s letter.

“It’s growing pains, what Temple’s going through,” Saltry said. “This won’t stop the growing pains, but we want to ameliorate the issue.”

Amelia Brust can be reached at abrust@temple.edu.

For a longer version of this story, pick up The Temple News on Tuesday, Oct. 4.