Hateful ads spark debate

Anti-Semitic advertisements should be used as a way to spark productive conversation, instead of just anger.

After a recent court ruling, the far-right American Freedom Law Center will get its wish: ads on SEPTA buses which feature a photograph of Adolf Hitler and Palestinian nationalist Haj Amin al-Husseini, and the words: “Islamic Jew-hatred: It’s in the Quran.”

Eighty-four of the city public transportation company’s buses will display the ad, according to a 6ABC report.

It’s clear that this advertisement is an attempt to rile up certain social groups, particularly Muslims. However, the Muslim Student Association, which represents Muslim students at Temple, gave The Temple News a statement on the situation, stressing the creation of “an environment of understanding” and discouraging anyone from vandalizing the ads.

“It is important to be respectful of other people’s opinions and that is what our religion teaches,” the organization said in the statement.

Temple’s MSA should be commended for its remarkable calm while surrounded by those who are outraged. But at a university with a significant commuter population – students, faculty and staff alike will likely use these buses – several people at the university will see the hateful message, a result of our right to free speech.

It is important to stay aware of the message’s intrusion into public discourse, which could otherwise be more civil. Including the perpetrator of humanity’s largest genocide with intent to besmirch a religious text many students deem sacred is more than just discourteous – it’s practically fighting words.

If you agree with the ad, don’t think its printing means it’s now acceptable to speak that way to your peers. Instead, be civil. Shouting about Jew-hatred in a religious text will not make you popular or get your point across.

If you disagree with the ad, don’t be upset. The AFLC is nothing more than a peddler of a centuries-old conflict which has no place in our public transportation system. As MSA suggests, use it as a way to start a productive conversation.

2 Comments

1. “It is important to stay aware of the message’s intrusion into public discourse, which could otherwise be more civil. Including the perpetrator of humanity’s largest genocide with intent to besmirch a religious text many students deem sacred is more than just discourteous – it’s practically fighting words.”
    ++
    Historians claim that in the Muslim jihadist attacks against the Hindus and Buddhists of southern Asia Muslims killed 70 million before conquering vast sections of that landmass.

Seventy million people killed by Muslims in the name of Allah and in the pursuit of expanding the caliphate!
    ++
    An example: Afghanistan was once home to a flourishing Buddhist civilization. Today Afghanistan is 100% Muslim – not one single Buddhist is left alive. Meanwhile Muslims are destroying ancient Buddhist statues and relics.

2. “If you disagree with the ad, don’t be upset. The AFLC is nothing more than a peddler of a centuries-old conflict which has no place in our public transportation system.”
    ++
    I’m not sure what is meant by this sentence.

Suffice it to say that Mohammed’s life started a conflict 1,400 years ago that continues today.
    ++
    In fact within 300 years of Mohammed’s birth Muslim jihadists had violently conquered the entire Middle East and North Africa. They had violently conquered Spain, Portugal, southern France and Sicily. And they were fighting northward before the Pope declared the First Crusade.

Yes Muslim jihadists had conquered all this land before the Pope was forced to act or face death too.
    ++
    What I do not understand is why the editorial staff of a college paper know so little about what they are writing about. Is that really what journalists are taught to do today?