Homecoming Week headlining act cancels performance

“Saturday Night Live” comedian Pete Davidson was scheduled to perform at the comedy show.

Adam Devine, known for his role on Comedy Central’s “Workaholics," took over as the Homecoming Week comedy event headliner. | Courtesy / Main Campus Program Board |

Adam Devine will headline the Homecoming Week comedy show tonight at the Student Center after former headliner Pete Davidson cancelled on Monday.

Main Campus Program Board announced in a press release that Davidson, a comedian on NBC’s “Saturday Night Live,” called off his Temple University appearance for personal reasons.  Adam Devine, a comedian and actor known for his role on Comedy Central’s “Workaholics,” was available to take over as the headliner.

Assistant Director for Programs and Marketing Jennylee Ramos said Davidson’s team called Monday night to cancel.

“MCPB executive members do their best to plan premier events,” Ramos said. “The same way students are disappointed when talent cancels, so are they, and they try to appease the student body and bring the best events to campus.”

The MCPB chooses talent for their events based on who students are talking about on campus and which celebrities are trending in surveys they conduct.

After Davidson canceled, MCPB looked through past survey results to determine other performers students would like to see and Davine was at the top of their list, Ramos said.

MCPB also uses other strategies to plan on-campus events like student focus groups, polls and event evaluations.

The “personal reasons” behind Davidson’s cancellation may stem from the comedian’s recent break up with his ex-fiancee, pop star Ariana Grande. Grande broke off their engagement on Sunday, TMZ reported.

According to PEOPLE Magazine, Grande has been rethinking her life after the death of rapper Mac Miller, her ex-boyfriend who overdosed last month. Many of Miller’s fans commented on Grande’s social media accounts blaming her for Miller’s death.

Ramos said that as hard as the executive board tries to book talents in advance, there are many factors involved when planning a large-scale event and some changes are out of the MCPB’s control.

“Based on performer availability and what the MCPB University Events Directors thought students would like, we worked with an agency to get that talent,” Ramos said.