How to vote in the 2018 midterm elections

The deadline for Pennsylvania registration is Oct. 9. Here’s everything you need to know to make sure you can vote in November.

JULIE CHRISTIE / THE TEMPLE NEWS

A little more than a month remains before the polls open and people can vote in the midterm elections, but there’s even less time to register to vote in Philadelphia — the cutoff is in one week on Oct. 9.  

The Temple News compiled resources you might need to register to vote before the deadline.

“Voting is both a precious right and a privileged duty in a democracy,” said Acting Secretary of State Robert Torres in a press release today. “The Department of State is urging every eligible Pennsylvanian to register to vote by the October 9 deadline and then to cast a ballot in the November 6 election so their voices may be heard.”

Voter eligibility

In order to vote in Pennsylvania, you must be

1. A citizen of the United States
  2. A resident of Pennsylvania and the election district you want to vote in
  3. 18 or older by Nov. 6, 2018.  

In order to vote with these qualifications, you must register in your district 30 days before Election Day. The deadline to register is Oct. 9, 2018.  

Registering out of state

If you are not from Pennsylvania, there are a few options when it comes to registration.

If you are previously registered in your home state and do not want your vote counted in Pennsylvania, cast an appropriate absentee ballot for your state.

If you are previously registered in your home state but do want your vote counted in Pennsylvania, you must re-register in Pennsylvania.

If you are not previously registered to vote, register as a normal in-state resident in either Pennsylvania or your home state.

How to register in Pennsylvania

If you’re from Pennsylvania, the process is pretty straightforward.

If you’re already registered in Pennsylvania, but are too far from home to vote in your district, cast an absentee ballot. The deadline to apply for a civilian absentee ballot is Oct. 30, 2018.

If you’re not previously registered to vote, register normally as a Pennsylvania resident with either your Philadelphia address or in-state home address. Note that your address dictates your voting district and local representatives.

In Pennsylvania, there are four ways to register to vote: online, in person, at PennDOT or by mail.

OnlineIn personPennDOTBy mail

Registering online is the most convenient. To register, use the Pennsylvania Online Form. After filling it out, your county officials will review your application. When the process is complete you will receive your voter registration in the mail. If you don’t get your registration within 14 days of its approval, contact your county registration office.

Visit your county registration office and fill out your application. After a clerk reviews your application, you will receive your registration in the mail. The below address is for those living in Philadelphia County.

Philadelphia County Board of Elections
Rm. 142 City Hall
Philadelphia, PA 19107
(215) 686-3469

You can also register at any PennDOT photo or driver’s license center when you obtain or renew your driver’s license. Find a PennDOT location near you.

If you choose to register by mail, fill out the Pennsylvania Voter Registration Form and mail it to your county voter registration office. After your application is reviewed, you will receive your voter registration in the mail. The below address applies to those living in Philadelphia County.

Philadelphia County Board of Elections
Rm. 142 City Hall
Philadelphia, PA 19107
(215) 686-3469

The deadline to register in Pennsylvania is Oct. 9, 2018.

You can check the status of your voter registration at any time here.

Casting a Pennsylvania absentee ballot

If you’re casting an absentee ballot in Pennsylvania, you must fill out the Absentee Ballot Application and mail it to your county election office, which is listed on the last page of the application.
If you’re studying abroad, the Federal Voting Assistance Program walks you through the voting process if you’ll be overseas on Election Day.

EDITOR’S NOTE: Deputy City Editor Will Bleier is an organizing fellow for the Pennsylvania Democratic Party. He took no part in the editing or reporting of this article. Deputy Campus Editor Alyssa Biederman previously canvassed for the Pennsylvania Democratic Party. She took no part in the editing or reporting of this article.