Job fair offers path to careers

No matter how much students seem to save up over the summer their pockets always seem empty after being hit with tuition, fees and overpriced books. The beginning of every semester generally equals financial hardships,

No matter how much students seem to save up over the summer their pockets always seem empty after being hit with tuition, fees and overpriced books.

The beginning of every semester generally equals financial hardships, but instead of hitting the folks up for money, why not get a J-O-B?
Of course mom loves you but she’s sure to get tired of your calls home for cash.

On September 17, Career Development Services will be holding their annual fall part time job fair in Mitten Hall from 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.

So dust off that resume and dress to impress potential future employer.

A part time job isn’t just a way to boost one’s checking account; it can also act as a great way to gain valuable experience.

Past companies to attend the job fair have included American Association for Cancer Research, Hudson United Bank, Philadelphia Zoo, United Parcel Service and Temple University’s Time Out Respite Program, to name a few.

In case you can’t make the job fair, Career Development Services, located on the second floor of Mitten Hall, offers numerous programs and services throughout the year.

No matter what stage one may be at in his career search, CDS has a program to fit everyone’s specific needs.

Resume critiques and video mock interviews are conducted to perfect the skills that can hopefully land every student a job.

Got a Major? Career Development even offers help to the student who has no idea what he or she wants to do.

The computers in their office have a self-assessment program, DISCOVER, to determine which occupations fit specific personalities.

They even hold a workshop entitled “How to Choose a Major” for those who are still undeclared or in a major that they’re less than satisfied with.

Even for the student with a major, Career Development offers the workshop “Career Options Within Your Major.”

In addition to the informative workshops, Career Development Services also has a library complete with info on job listings, co-ops, and internships.

Most of us will be stuck paying off loans for ten years so we might as well take advantage of the free services provided by Career Development Service.

Patrice Williams can be reached at patricew@temple.edu.