Junior scores game-winning goal for Temple field hockey

Midfielder Kathryn Edgar scored a game-winning goal on a penalty stroke in the final minute of Temple’s 2-1 win over Towson University.

Then-junior midfielder Kathryn Edgar throws her hands up in celebration after scoring the first goal in the Owl's 2-3 loss against Providence College on Sept. 21, 2018. Edgar will be a performance captain for the 2019 season. | JAMIE COTTRELL / FILE PHOTO

On a rainy afternoon at the Temple Sports Complex, field hockey midfielder Kathryn Edgar proved to be a bright spot in Temple University’s win against Towson University.

In the 63rd minute, Edgar’s first penalty stroke opportunity was saved by Towson freshman goalie MacKenzie Peacock.

During the final minute, Towson (1-7) was called for a foul awarding Temple (2-6, 0-1 Big East Conference) a penalty stroke to win the game.

Coach Marybeth Freeman knew who she wanted to take the shot.   

“I turned to [Edgar] and asked if she wanted it and she said yes,” Freeman said. “I was like ‘I trust you’ and I think that says a lot about her mental fortitude and what she’s able to do for the program.”

Edgar sent a hard shot past Peacock to give Temple a 2-1 win and the team its first victory at Howarth Field this season.

Missing the first penalty stroke did not affect Edgar’s confidence at the end of the game.

“I didn’t think too far ahead,” she said. “I just kind of set myself up with my normal routine, kind of do what I do and just kind of stick to what I know and put it in the net.”

Freeman said Edgar is one of Temple’s “most consistent players” and the coach is comfortable turning to her in situations like the one on Sunday.

“[Edgar’s] ability to step to the plate in pressure situations has always been a strength of hers,” Freeman said. “She leads by example, has the discipline with the ball, and on the defensive side of the ball, so having the ball in her hands is something the staff completely trusts.”

Temple recorded 18 shots against Towson. Edgar provided seven of them, a team-high, including five shots on goal. It was a difficult match and though the Owls did enough to win, Edgar felt like she had the right mindset from the get-go.

“Personally, I just wanted to keep chipping away and I knew that’s what our team’s momentum was,” Edgar said. “Not solely just keeping the ball in front, but kind of that whole process of chipping away, building the play up to the circle.”

So far this season, Edgar has two goals and a team-high seven points as the Owls get set for their next game at Liberty University, which was postponed in the wake of Hurricane Florence.