Junior’s personal-best day highlights event

Marcos Edghill, a sprinter and hurdler, blew by the competition at Maryland’s Terrapin Invitational Saturday in College Park, Md. The junior sprinter and hurdler set personal records in three of the four events he competed

Marcos Edghill, a sprinter and hurdler, blew by the competition at Maryland’s Terrapin Invitational Saturday in College Park, Md. The junior sprinter and hurdler set personal records in three of the four events he competed in – the 100 meter dash, 200m dash and 110m hurdles.

Edghill advanced to the 100m finals as he ran the event in 11.13 seconds in his preliminary heat. In the finals, he finished eighth with a time of 11.38 seconds. The junior also finished
20th in the 200m with a 22.10, seventh in the 110m hurdles with a 15.13 and helped the Owls 4x100m relay team to an eighth place finish.

Edghill said his success couldn’t happen without the support and motivation of his teammates.

“A lot of the motivation that I get is from my teammates,” Edghill said. “We cheer for each other and just help each other get ready for our events.”

Edghill said he looks at the team as one big family, but despite the helpful motivation of the team, he knows that no one can run the race but him.

“Before each event, I just visualize myself
running and just do the best that I can,” Edghill said. “And when I actually run the race, all I am thinking is to just run as fast as I can.”

Other notable finishes for the men’s squad included Tim Boeni, who finished in sixth place in the men’s long jump with a leap of 6.36m. Boeni also ran the 200m in 22.59 to place 16th in the event, the best among the men’s team. David Stonfer led in the Owls in the 400m, placing 10th with a time of 49.85. Stonfer was one of four Owls to compete in the event.

The others included Sean Hill (29th place), Darnell Bowser (41st place) and Jordan Calwell (54th place).

The women’s squad also had success at the meet. In the 200m dash finals, three Owls finished in the top 20. They were led by Cheryl Anscombe, who placed 11th with a time of 25.71. She was joined by Brittani McRae (15th place, 25.80) and Carlleen Allison (20th place, 25.60). The 4x400m relay of McRae, Shanice DePass, Allison and Devon Dupont finished fourth with a time of 3:57:67. In the women’s pole vault, Melissa Gale finished in fifth place, clearing a height of 3.20m.

The Owls will travel to Durham, N.C., to compete at the Duke Invitational on April 6.

Kevin Smiley can be reached at kevin.smiley@temple.edu.