Lacrosse falls to Georgetown

The Owls lost on Saturday, leaving them to contend for fourth place in the Big East with one game left.

With the regular season quickly coming to an end, Temple split a two-game road trip with a 13-6 loss to Georgetown on Saturday, after beating Marquette on Thursday.

With a 3-3 conference record, the Owls are tied with Villanova, which beat Marquette 10-9 earlier on Saturday, for the fourth and final spot in the Big East tournament.

Rutgers is also in the hunt for the fourth spot with a 2-4 Big East record and will play Temple on Friday in the last regular season game.

Georgetown clinched the second seed in the Big East with Saturday’s win against the Owls.

Though senior attacker Jaymie Tabor got things started with her 30th goal of the season, the Owls fell behind a couple minutes later after goals from the Hoyas’ senior midfielder Hannah Franklin, sophomore midfielder Kristen Bandos and sophomore attacker Corinne Etchison.

Sophomore midfielder Nicole Tiernan scored with just less than 16 minutes left in the first half to make it a 3-2 game, but Georgetown came right back with another three goals – two more from Etchison to complete the hat-trick and one from senior attacker Meghan Farrell.

Following a goal from freshman midfielder Carly Demato with 4:26 left in the half, Bandos would go on to score three straight goals within two minutes to give herself a four-goal game.

“The mistakes we made, some of them were a little of our own error,” coach Bonnie Rosen said. “Had we cleaned them up a little earlier, we would have had a better chance of taking the game for a win.”

“Very early on in this game, we could’ve taken the lead and could have really gone after it,” Rosen added. “But we just weren’t quite ready to do that yet as a team and hopefully we learned today how to do that a little bit better.”

Franklin scored her second of the day with 13 seconds left to give Georgetown a seven-goal advantage at halftime.

Like in the first half, Tabor opened up scoring, and combined with two goals from sophomore midfielder Nicole Tiernan. Temple was able to keep pace with Georgetown.

But a fourth goal from Etchison, a second from Farrell and a goal from senior midfielder Courtney Caputo secured the Hoyas’ victory.

Though the Owls came away with the loss, and now have a 6-9 overall record this season, a more controlled second half had them a bit more optimistic. 

“We felt a lot better at the end of the game than we would have in the first half,” redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Jaqi Kakalecik, who made seven saves on Saturday, said.

Nick Tricome can be reached at nick.tricome@temple.edu or on Twitter @itssnick215.