Lacrosse wins close A-10 opener

Owls end three-game losing streak with 7-6 victory.

In a low scoring defensive battle, the lacrosse team was able to grind out a 7-6 Atlantic 10 Conference victory at the St. Joseph’s Hawks, on Friday night.

After ending non-conference play with a three game losing streak, Temple (6-4,1-0) conference victory against St. Joe’s (6-4,0-1) brought a stop to the winning drought, with a defensive effort that allowed the second lowest point total of the season.

The Temple victory came despite recording 17 turnovers, one less than the season-high, and having their starting attackers, junior Jaymie Tabor and freshman Rachel Schwaab, inactive.

Offensively, senior midfielder Charlotte Swavola and freshman attacker Summer Jaros led the team with four total goals, scoring two each. Midfielders sophomore Molly Seefried, senior Stephany Parcell and senior Kellee Pace each added a goal each.

Parcell led the team with four draw controls and freshman midfielder Nicole Tiernan led Temple with four ground balls and two caused turnovers.

For the Hawks, sophomore midfielder Julia Falcone recorded two goals and fifth year senior Meghan McDevitt led her team with two assists. At goalie, freshman Genevieve Giblin recorded two saves.

In front of the net, senior Meghan Clothier earned her sixth win of the season, recording four saves in the process.

The Owls got on the scoreboard in a hurry, scoring a goal in less than a minute on a Seefried shot. As a result of a St. Joe’s penalty, Parcell was able to add to the Temple point total during a man-up situation, starting the game with 2-0 lead in favor of Temple.

After several possessions of turnovers and defensive stands, the Hawks responded to the Owls’ goals with back to back scores, to tie the game at 2-2.

Swavola closed the first period with a goal at the 2:32 mark, to give the Owls a one point lead going into halftime.

St. Joe’s began the second half scoring two unanswered goals, to give the Hawks a 4-3 advantage in the first ten minutes of the period.

Temple would respond with their own run. The Owls rattled off three straight goals, including a consecutive goals by Jaros. Another goal by St. Joe’s would make it a 6-5 Temple lead with 14:55 remaining in the game.

As Temple clung to a one point advantage late in the game, Swavola went unassisted for a goal, but was answered by Falcone, which kept the Hawks deficit at one.

St. Joe’s only chance at tying the game came down to a draw, which Seefried was able to corral and run out the clock.

Coach Bonnie Rosen and players were not made immediately available for comment after the game.

Brien Edwards can be reached at brien.edwards@temple.edu or on Twitter @BErick1123.