Defending our smoking policy

John Paul Gazzara’s letter from last week raised several points about Temple’s actions regarding smoking on campus. I appreciate the opportunity to provide some additional information. Temple’s anti-smoking efforts stretch back to the fall of

John Paul Gazzara’s letter from last week raised several points about Temple’s actions regarding smoking on campus. I appreciate the opportunity to provide some additional information.

Temple’s anti-smoking efforts stretch back to the fall of 1990, when a total indoor smoking ban was established with a goal of making buildings at the university smoke-free.

That ban was heightened in January 2004, when the smoking policy was amended to prohibit smoking within 25 feet of the main entrances of university buildings. Signs notifying individuals of the smoking ban were installed over the succeeding weeks and months.

We are now actively working with the city’s Department of Licenses and Inspections
to ensure compliance with its new regulations regarding smoking at areas deemed “outdoor cafes.” The city has provided, and the university has installed, temporary signs near Anderson and Gladfelter halls around the 12th Street outdoor dining area. Permanent signs will soon follow.

Regulating the locations where smoking is not permitted is only attacking part of the issue. The university also provides smoking cessation plans for those who want to improve their lives by kicking the tobacco habit. Students interested in finding out more can contact Student Health Services, whose staff will help put together an achievable plan to quit smoking and provide individualized education, counseling and a medication regimen to quit.

I applaud Mr. Gazzara’s efforts to reach out to so many. As he now knows, President Hart’s office made efforts to reach him about his concerns. It’s unfortunate we were not able to connect sooner.

Temple University has a vital interest in maintaining a healthy and safe environment for its students, faculty, staff and visitors. I believe the university is working to make Temple a safe and healthy community for us all.

Clarence D. Armbrister
Executive Vice President