Lies abound in The Truth About Charlie

Opening on Oct. 25, The Truth About Charlie is a remake of the 1963 film Charade. Director Jonathan Demme revives the 37-year-old classic, starring Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn, and turns it into a romantic

Opening on Oct. 25, The Truth About Charlie is a remake of the 1963 film Charade.

Director Jonathan Demme revives the 37-year-old classic, starring Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn, and turns it into a romantic thriller for the new millennium.

A smart and sharp who-dunnit, The Truth About Charlie is complex and fast-paced.

Imagine trying to solve a murder and court a lover while riding a roller coaster.

That is this movie.

Regina (Thandie Newton) is about to divorce her husband Charlie, when she discovers that he’s dead, their bank account is empty and that Charlie was not really Charlie.

Enter a suave and mysterious Joshua (Mark Wahlberg), who charms Regina out of misery and helps her outrun Charlie’s nefarious associates.

Apparently, Charlie was involved in less-then-legal operations and owes some nasty people a lot of money. Everyone thinks Regina knows where that money is, and they intend to get it.

The situation moves from serious to dire when people start to die.

And even though it sounds cliché, no one really is who he or she seems to be.

Newton and Wahlberg are both young and attractive, and with Paris serving as the backdrop, it is easy to fall in love with those falling in love.

Newton displays enough elegance to seem sophisticated, and also gives a confused quality to her character Regina.

Wahlberg exhibits a great range, sliding effortlessly from gentleman to rogue. It’s impossible to tell for most of the movie if he is a knight in shining armor or just a nightmare.

The supporting cast is extremely strong.

Demme culled an assortment of thespians, and the movie clicks with American, French, and international stars all dashing through the streets of Paris.

Standouts include Lisa Gay Hamilton, of television’s The Practice, who plays edgy mercenary, and Tim Robbins as an American diplomat.

Demme has already tasted big screen success with movies like Silence of the Lambs and Philadelphia. With this movie, he blends romantic comedy and thrilling mystery by taking daring chances and risks.

Most of them pay off.

The risky cinematography is unique and works more then it fails.

A sharp and witty script propels the first-rate ensemble.

The Truth About Charlie is not for everyone. It is not your typical Hollywood thriller or romance.

It is sophisticated and complex, and keeping track of the twists and turns can be a challenge.

If you are looking for an intelligent and multifaceted movie, then perhaps you should go see The Truth About Charlie.

Matthew Ray can be reached at temple_news@hotmail.com.