Looking in the mirror

We acknowledge and will learn from our publishing of an incorrect article.

This semester, The Temple News has been critical of many stories surrounding this university—from Haason Reddick and Dion Dawkins continuing to play while awaiting an aggravated assault trial, to higher administration not publicly acknowledging Agatha Hall’s death.

Now, it’s time to look in the mirror.

Last week, we ran a story on page 2 titled, “Temple Health home care division facing two lawsuits,” which was later retracted from our website due to several inaccuracies. You can find these mistakes in the corrections box at the bottom of this page.

Our first job in this business is to report everything accurately and fairly. Clearly, we failed those basic journalistic principles with this story.

The Temple News apologized to BAYADA and Temple Health, the two parties who were most impacted by the article’s falsehoods. We thanked them for their timeliness in reaching out to us, and the professionalism in how they handled the situation.

Every publication makes mistakes, but that doesn’t mean we’re above any error, no matter how big or small. Because of this, we also apologize to our readers, who view us as an important source of news for not only Temple, but also the surrounding North Philadelphia community.

We won’t forget this article. But we also will continue to report important and accurate information to the best of our ability, for all of our readers who view us as a “watchdog” that has served the Temple University community since 1921.