Losing streak continues

The Owls lost to the Connecticut Huskies 3-1 Friday night.

After failing to surmount an early three goal deficit, the Owls lost to the Connecticut Huskies 3-1 Friday night in Storrs, Ct.

“I think we just have to be realistic,” coach Seamus O’Connor said. “[Our conference opponents] have been national powers for years and years. I get kind of frustrated because [the Owls] gave everything they could today. UConn is just better than us.”

Both Temple (6-7-1,1-4) and UConn (9-6-0,3-2) came into Friday’s contest attempting to rebound from consecutive American Athletic Conference losses. With the loss, the Owls have now lost four straight conference matchups and have allowed multiple goals in consecutive games for the first time in 2013.

For Temple, sophomore defender Erin Lafferty recorded the Owls’ lone goal. In addition to Lafferty’s one shot on goal, sophomore defender Paula Jurewicz and sophomore midfielder Shannon Senour each added their own shot on goal.

In her fourth straight loss, sophomore goalkeeper Shauni Kerkhoff registered a career-high 15 saves against the Huskies.

Three different players netted goals for UConn. Senior midfielder Jennifer Skogerboe, sophomore forward Stephanie Ribeiro, and redshirt junior forward Julie Hubbard each recorded a goal to lead the Huskies.

In the first half of the game, the Huskies attacked the net early and often, recording 23 first period shots. Amongst the UConn shots, a 40th minute Hubbard goal gave the Huskies a 1-0 lead. Seconds later, Ribeiro was fed a pass which led to her finding the back of the net for UConn’s second goal of the day.

At halftime, UConn held a 2-0 lead and restricted Temple to zero shots.

A moments into the second period, Skogerboe netted a goal in the 46th minute and gave the Huskies a commanding 3-0 lead early in the second half.

The Owls managed to attempt five shots in the second half and record a goal from a Lafferty penalty kick, but Temple could not muster enough offense to attempt a full comeback. UConn outshot Temple 33-5 in their victory.

“When you don’t have success and sometimes you start questioning yourself,” O’Connor said. “The girls are doing a good job. They’re doing everything I ask. We’re trying every play in the book but it’s coming down to right now, we’re just not getting it done.”

Brien Edwards can be reached at brien.erick.edwards@temple.edu or on Twitter @BErick1123.