Man, 18, shot near Main campus

An 18-year-old male was shot Wednesday evening on the 1900 block of 10th Street, near Temple’s Main campus. The incident occurred within view of SEPTA’s Temple Regional Rail stop and one block from the Kardon

An 18-year-old male was shot Wednesday evening on the 1900 block of 10th Street, near Temple’s Main campus.

The incident occurred within view of SEPTA’s Temple Regional Rail stop and one block from the Kardon Building, while neighborhood children were playing outside.

According to police, Demetrius Tolliver of the 2100 block of Franklin Street and an unknown male left the basketball courts at Norris Apartments, located along Berks between 10th and 11th streets, around 6:45 p.m. Police said Tolliver was shot once in the buttocks.

Tolliver then went to the 2100 block of Ninth Street, where he called paramedics. He was taken to Temple University Hospital for treatment.

The other man fled on foot. Neither of the two men are students at Temple, police said.

Police originally said both men fired weapons, but now say only the shooter fired a weapon in the incident. Officials at Temple University Hospital said Tolliver was released Friday in good condition.

Tolliver was the fifth person shot in Philadelphia Wednesday. Three South Philadelphia Wawa customers were shot earlier that morning. Police wounded that suspect before later apprehending him.

Lucas K. Murray can be reached at lmurray@temple.edu.