Manayunk offers a fresh take on Philadelphia’s nightlife

Getting tired of the same old city scene? Manayunk is a reprieve with all of its restaurants, bars, shops and nightlife of the city wrapped up in one charming package. With its boutiques, art galleries,

Getting tired of the same old city scene? Manayunk is a reprieve with all of its restaurants, bars, shops and nightlife of the city wrapped up in one charming package.

With its boutiques, art galleries, cafes and pubs, Manayunk is quickly becoming a favorite spot for many local college students. In a town where creativity thrives, this is far from surprising. Local performers and bands play the bar scenes and have earned a following of devotees.

Chefs and restaurateurs, specializing in the exotic and unique dining experience, have picked Manayunk as a place of business for years. Artists and craftsmen show and sell their collections in intimate settings along the main drag.

“Yunk,” as it is nicknamed, has a wide variety of options in the dining department. From the upscale to the down home, one is guaranteed to find some grub that will please your palate.

The impressive Kansas City Prime couples some of the best steaks around with a sophisticated atmosphere. Jake’s Restaurant is a local favorite specializing in contemporary American cuisine with a playful touch. For live entertainment with dinner, Japanese restaurant Hikaru offers an extensive sushi menu to its patrons.

Le Bus is a hip hangout for students and corporate execs alike. With a creative menu and gourmet bread to write home about, this one’s a must try. Offering a healthy and delicious menu, Sonoma is a sassy restaurant featuring the largest vodka bar in America.

However, if good old-fashioned comfort food is needed, the recently opened Manayunk Diner will satisfy those hot turkey and apple pie cravings.

With an abundance of hangouts, it is hard to pick one that really stands out as the hotspot. Manayunk Brewing Company is the largest brewery in Philly. It has live music, lots of space to hang out with friends and outdoor seating that overlooks the Schuylkill River.

The Grape Street Pub is another great spot for music lovers. This bar/nightclub has become a haven for local bands and even attracts some big names.

The second floor features different local DJ’s nightly, and there are always promotions and drink specials ideal for the 21 and up college crowd.

Chemistry Night Spot is Manayunk’s only dance club. It provides 2800 square feet ofprime move-busting real estate plus a state-of-the-art sound system and two cutting-edge bars.

If it’s shopping one desires, it’s shopping all the way. Just stop by any of Manayunk’s wide variety of shops and boutiques, from Down 2 Earth, Platypus, and Why be Board? to Worn Yesterday and Moon over Manayunk.

Here’s something to add to the long list of reasons to visit Manayunk. Every Wednesday night throughout December, many of Manayunk’s best restaurants, bars and shops offer $4 specials. Plus parking, if you can find it, is only $4, as a part of a promotion called “4Play.”

Manayunk offers shopping, dining and entertainment only minutes from Center City.

Travel to Manayunk for less than $5 with a quick ride on the R6 Regional Rail Line heading toward Norristown.

For more information, visit www.manayunk.com.

Millie Protheroe can be reached at bobhope@temple.edu