Marketing appointee brings varied experience

On Oct. 20, President Ann Weaver Hart announced the appointment of Michele Moore as associate vice president of marketing and branding. According to Hart’s announcement, Moore will be responsible for creating an extensive plan for

On Oct. 20, President Ann Weaver Hart announced the appointment of Michele Moore as associate vice president of marketing and branding.

According to Hart’s announcement, Moore will be responsible for creating an extensive plan for marketing, along with a brand strategy at Temple. Part of Moore’s job will be to “coordinate outreach initiatives to prospective and current students, faculty, staff, alumni, government and community leaders and the public at-large.”

Moore will also create a new marketing plan for the university by Spring 2011.

SAM KELLY TTN

Moore plans to work with university departments to ensure brand consistency that helps maximize resources and effectiveness of communication and marketing efforts.

“Here at Temple, we have the opportunity to expand and continue to promote extraordinary programs, great faculty and students,” Moore said. “We have to promote great attributes and messages.”

Moore, who has worked in the communications field for more than 20 years, was the director of communications and press secretary for New Orleans Mayor Marc Morial from 1994 to 1997. After she left her position in New Orleans, Moore was the chief communications officer of Black Entertainment Television.

Moore was also in charge of the communications operations for Nickelodeon Networks. At Nickelodeon, Moore was involved with consumer and television launches that dealt with franchises of television shows, such as “Spongebob Squarepants,” “Little Bill” and “Dora the Explorer.”

As part of her work on the “Little Bill” show, Moore had the opportunity to work with honorary Temple alumnus Bill Cosby.

Moore said she learned a few lessons about promoting brands at Nickelodeon. Since Nickelodeon television shows are intended for young viewers, the characters spoke to each other the way children speak to each other. A brand needs to have relevance to its target audience, she said.

“In promoting Nickelodeon, you have to reinforce Nickelodeon’s core values,” Moore said. “Such as with ‘Dora the Explorer,’ you had to ensure that Dora was perceived as a strong character.”

Most recently, Moore was the senior vice president of marketing and communications for the National Urban League.

In this position, Moore directed the brand re-launch of the civil rights organization, along with its 100 chapters, which each had an individual brand.

Moore said her work with the National Urban League was life-changing.

She also worked as the senior consultant of the Walker Merchant Group, for which she served clients in Washington, D.C., and New York.

“In the future, we want to ensure that the Temple brand not only speaks to [Temple’s] extraordinary core attributes, but is also true to the great community and legacy of alumni,” Moore said. “It’s a transformative time to be at Temple to help promote all of the exciting accomplishments that are taking place.”

Moore said she hopes to support and elevate Temple and is excited to be involved in promoting the university.

Moore received her Bachelor’s of Art in Communications at the University of California Los Angeles and law degree from Howard University.

Maura Lieberman can be reached at maura.lieberman@temple.edu.