Matthews leads team to 10th place finish

The sophomore tied for fourth place in the Furman Intercollegiate tournament.

The golf team placed 10th in the 17-team field at the Furman Intercollegiate tournament in Greenville, S.C., last weekend. Sophomore Brandon Matthews finished tied for fourth place overall among the 111-player field.

“It always helps getting a couple of tournaments under your belt when you’re coming right out of winter,” Matthews said. “That first tournament is tough. We were in Florida for a week practicing and still trying to get back in tournament conditions and the pressure of it.

“[The] second tournament we kind of got unlucky with the weather with our tee times,” Matthews added. “We had a tee time in the morning and one day the afternoon the other and we got the bad weather and the opposite tee times got the good weather, so we kind of got a little unlucky there, so that didn’t help especially when you still have rust on us.”

Despite unpredictable weather in Philadelphia, outdoor practice time has been limited.

“Obviously you’re never really satisfied,” senior Matt Crescenzo said after finishing in 26th place. “For not being able to practice that much, I guess we’re doing pretty good. It’s never really an excuse but we can definitely get better.”

Temple was in seventh place after the first day of the Furman Intercollegiate, but fell in the standings, only to rise back up a few spots and earn the 10th place finish.

“Everybody has off days,” Matthews said. “That happens with golf. You can’t play well everyday and that was just our off day.”

Temple will next compete in the Princeton Invitational on April 12 and 13.

Chase Senior can be reached at chase.senior@temple.edu or on Twitter @Chase_Senior.