Men’s basketball notes: A friendly rivalry

PHILLY HOOPS WATCH CINCINNATI – Owls guards Mark Tyndale, Mardy Collins and Dustin Salisbery will be checking Sunday’s paper for the box score of Saturday’s boys high school basketball game between Simon Gratz and J.P.

PHILLY HOOPS WATCH

CINCINNATI – Owls guards Mark Tyndale, Mardy Collins and Dustin Salisbery will be checking Sunday’s paper for the box score of Saturday’s boys high school basketball game between Simon Gratz and J.P. McCaskey.

Tyndale and Collins are graduates of Gratz, of the Philadelphia Public League, while Salisbery is an alumnus of the Lancaster-based McCaskey.

Though the three have been teammates for the last two seasons, high school pride runs deeper than anything else, Tyndale said.

“Dustin and me, we just got done talking about that,” Tyndale said. “We bet some push-ups, 20 of them. I’m going with Gratz, baby.”

“No way,” Salisbery said, as he shook his head and just laughed.

HISTORY LESSON

The Owls’ win over George Washington on Thursday put them into the A-10 semifinals for the 22d time in 24 seasons. In 13 of those seasons, the Chaney-led Owls have appeared in the A-10 title game. This year was not one of them.

RADIO FEEDBACK

Temple fans who made the trip to Cincinnati earlier this week were in attendance at Friday’s semifinal game. One such fan held a sign that read, ‘Scott Graham Rules,’ referring to the radio commentator for A-10 basketball. Prior to the game, the fans chanted for Graham until he posed with them for a photograph.

The broadcaster politely obliged.

Christopher A. Vito can be reached at christopher.vito@temple.edu.