Men’s basketball tops Buffalo in low-scoring contest

The Owls beat Buffalo 54-39 despite a poor overall shooting performance.

Despite shooting 22 percent in the second half and a scoring a season low in points, the men’s basketball team picked up its fourth win of the season in a 54-39 win against Buffalo Wednesday night.

Redshirt-sophomore Anthony Lee led Temple with 10 points and seven rebounds in 26 minutes. Freshman guard Quenton DeCosey scored a career high eight points while playing 10 minutes, also a career high.

Sophomore guard Will Cummings played a career high 34 minutes and logged nine points, six rebounds and two assists. It was the first game all season that Cumming played more minutes at point guard than graduate guard T.J. DiLeo, who played 20 minutes.

Bulls’ sophomore forward Javon McCrea led all scorers with 14 points, but was limited to two rebounds in 33 minutes. McCrea’s performance came after he scored 28 points and grabbed seven rebounds in the two teams’ match-up last year.

Temple held a 15-point lead at half after shooting 50 percent and holding Buffalo to 23 percent shooting. The Bulls shot 6-for-26 from the field in the first half, including 2-for-10 from beyond the arc.

Buffalo fared better in the second half, shooting 42 percent and trying the Owls in scoring, but the first-half inefficiencies proved too much to overcome.

The win improves the Owls to 4-0, while Buffalo falls to 2-6. Temple’s next game will be at home versus Wagner Saturday, Dec. 1 at 2 p.m.

Check back with The Temple News for more coverage of the win.

Joey Cranney can be reached at joseph.cranney@temple.edu or on Twitter @joey_cranney.