Men’s soccer fails to win over weekend

This week, the men’s soccer team came very close, but fell just short of grabbing its first win of the season in two games this past week.

Hofstra

Redshirt-senior goalie Bret Mollon did not let in any goals against the Pride, however, the team didn’t score any goals of their own as the game ended in a 0-0 tie in Hempstead, N.Y.

menssoccer
Players react during Sunday’s game against the Knights. PAUL KLEIN TTN

Mollon made two saves to earn his second shutout of the season. Senior midfielder Max Kinderwater and junior forward Tyler Witmer each had two shots on goal. Sophomore midfielder Matt MacWilliams, sophomore defenseman Billy Kappok and freshman midfielder Vaughn Spurrier each had a shot on goal in the tie.

Fairleigh Dickinson

The team returned home to Ambler, but still could not get that first win of the season as the team lost 2-1 in double-overtime to the Knights. Sophomore midfielder Dominic Reinhold scored the first goal for the Knights in the 36th minute. Spurrier responded with his first career goal and the team’s second goal of the season in the 49th minute. No goal would be scored all the way until the 101st minute, when Reinhold struck again with the game-winning goal off an FDU corner kick, sending the team to a 0-3-2 record.

Up Next

The Owls will be seeking their first win of the season against Rider on Wednesday at Ambler at 3:30 p.m. On Saturday, the Owls will go on the road to face Sienna.

-Brian Dzenis