Men’s tennis scrimmages against Drexel

A scheduling conflict forced the Owls to scrimmage the Dragons in preparation for next weekend’s ITA Regional Championships.

Temple won two of the three doubles matches as a part of a scrimmage played Friday at Drexel University.

Senior Kacper Rams and sophomore Kristian Marquart won their match 6-2, 6-3. Coach Steve Mauro was happy with their performance, which was their first win as doubles partners.

“They are starting to jell as a team,” Mauro said.  “It was a good practice for them.”

Sophomore Hernan Vasconez and freshman Nicolas Paulus won 6-3, 6-4. Mauro said that Vasconez in particular played very well.

“They are also starting to click as a doubles team,” Mauro said. “I was really happy with the way they performed.”

The freshman duo of Hicham Belkssir and Maros Januvka lost 4-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-8). Mauro said that they are still learning to play together.

“It’s kind of a work in progress,” Mauro said. “We’ve been trying out some different stuff in practice. It’ll just gonna take a little time, but I think they’ll get better.”

Mauro ended up sticking with the doubles teams that he used at the Penn Invitational, rather than switching them up, which is what he said he was planning on doing earlier this week.

Other teams were originally going to play in the Drexel Invitational, but all of them except for Temple and Drexel dropped out. The Owls and Dragons decided to have a short scrimmage to prepare for next weekend’s ITA Regional Championships.

Evan Cross can be reached at evan.cross@temple.edu or on Twitter @EvanCross.