Movers & Shakers

The university should take notice to those making positive, innovative changes in the community.

As Temple continues to grow and evolve, the university community should stop and take notice to the individuals who are making strides in the areas around them.

This week’s issue is our sixth annual “Movers & Shakers” issue that profiles these members of the community who are making a difference at the university, the city of Philadelphia and beyond.

On Page 7, senior Melanie McCoy is profiled as the first undergraduate allowed to attend the National Council of Black Education. She is selling her Afrofuturist artwork to fund the trip.

We talked to Dr. Lisa Kay, who will present an art education program – focused on positivity and geared toward special student experiences – to educators across the state on Feb. 14.

Alumna Jos Duncan’s story of how she created her companies, Griot Don and Griot Works, to help represent the community she grew up in is told on Page 9.

Captain Eileen Bradley, the first female patrol officer to join Temple’s force after graduating in 1972, has climbed the ranks of Campus Safety Services and now acts as a liaison between surrounding community members and the university.

“The Hive” founder, alumna Melissa Alam, opened the coworking space for women to work with and share ideas with other women in the Philadelphia community.

Vice Provost for Academic Affairs Jodi Levine-Laufgraben, stands as one of the leaders of the “Fly in Four” program that aims to increase four-year graduation rates for incoming freshmen.

In this issue, we are proud to showcase past and present Temple community members who are exceeding standards and making a difference.