MTV star arrested near bar

Brandon Swift was detained and charged with disorderly conduct last week.

Brandon Swift sits at the Bell Tower. The January 2012 alumnus was arrested last week. | JENELLE JANCI / TTN

“The Real World: St. Thomas” cast member and 2012 alumnus Brandon Swift, 23, was arrested Nov. 1, outside the Draught Horse on Cecil B. Moore Avenue.

Deputy Director of Campus Safety Services Charlie Leone said in an email that officers were monitoring a large crowd of patrons leaving the bar at approximately 2 a.m. Thursday morning. When the group began to get rowdy, the officers approached it in attempts to disperse the crowd. After some pushing and fighting began, officers began to separate the crowd. Swift, however, refused to leave, Leone said.

Leone said  the male began yelling at the officers, stating, “I don’t have to leave,” among other things.

“He got carried away by one of his friends, but he then came back yelling at officers,” Leone added.

The defendant came back to the scene two or three times, Leone said, and, after he became unruly, he was arrested  on a charge of disorderly conduct.

Swift was taken to Temple Police headquarters where he was held for 45 minutes to an hour, Leone said. Swift was then given a citation and released.

Leone said the officers worried others could follow suit and create a larger incident.

Swift was arrested in February on similar charges, court records show.

Leone said during the Febuary incident, also outside the Draught Horse, Swift refused to leave the scene, Leone said.

Swift was vocal about the recent incident on his Facebook page, posting the following status:

“Always voice your opinion even if its [sic] the Police!” the post read, criticizing members of Temple’s police force.  “I will always say what I gotta [sic] say to you dirty filthy liars AND I hope this gets back to yall…Sorry for the rant all but it was necessary.”

Swift declined comment to The Temple News.

Swift was a member of the past season of “The Real World,” which aired from June to September. He graduated from Fox School of Business with a bachelor’s degree in business administration and legal studies in January.

Jenelle Janci can be reached at jenelle.janci@temple.edu. 

Sean Carlin contributed to this report.