Music fraternity lives in harmony

Members of Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia value brotherhood and music and do their best to combine the two.

Male musicians at Temple might be interested to know that one of the largest and oldest music fraternities in the nation has found its way to Main Campus.

The Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia fraternity from the aRho Upsilon chapter focuses on the development of music in the United States. While there is a common bond among the organization’s men, Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia is technically not considered a part of university Greek life.

“We are not a member of [the Temple University Greek Association] or the [Interfraternity Council] because we do not feel the need to be a part of these organizations, as we run without this outside influence,” said Doug Piazza, a member of the fraternity.

The group has established itself as a social fraternity and is recognized by the Boyer College of Music and Dance.

“We live our life by the ‘object’ of Phi Mu Alpha,” said Piazza, a senior music education major and classical saxophone player. “We shall have the best and truest fraternal spirit and work for the advancement of music while increasing the mutual welfare and brotherhood of musical students.”

The fraternity participates in the Mills Music Mission, a national philanthropy that travels to nursing homes and hospitals to sing for the sick and shut-in. With the fraternity members’ belief that “the harmony of humankind is the paramount purpose of the art of music,” the brothers of Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia use their talents to spread love and service to others throughout the community and nationwide.

Established in 1898, the music fraternity has long been known for its service, brotherhood and performance of music.

Founder Ossian Everett Mills created his Mills Music Mission to promote the true purpose of music as an art that can enrich the human spirit.

In the Mills Music Mission, Mills said man must first understand that it is others who are important. Then, he can focus on uplifting others.

Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia is open to all majors, and members said the group welcomes men who seek to form a brotherly bond with other men interested in music.

“One can get involved with the fraternity by just hanging around the music school and seeing all of the brothers around Presser Hall,” Piazza said. “Our diversity is widespread.”

Temple’s chapter has 25 members. Membership will increase after six Boyer College of Music and Dance professors join. There are more than 1,000 brothers nationwide.

Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia seems to have the support to achieve its mission.

The fraternity’s goal is simple. Its members are men who love music and want to spread that love, one quarter note at a time.

Monica Sellecchia can be reached at monica@temple.edu.