Musician practices elusive persona

Al Spx, better known as Cold Specks, will play at First Unitarian Church this week.

Al Spx, better known as “Cold Specks,” started singing only a few years ago. The 24-year-old is originally from Canada, but spent several years in London before adopting the belief that she’s “not based anywhere.” | COURTESY AUTUMN DE WILDE

While most artists pride themselves off of their current cities, Al Spx of Cold Specks defiantly proclaims her lack of one.

“I’m not based out of anywhere,” Spx said.

Spx’s lack of a stationary home hasn’t always been the case. Originally from Etobicoke, Canada, the 24-year-old lived in London for several years.

Before Spx was signed onto a label, she compiled collections of songs and demos and started playing shows in Toronto. But thanks to word-of-mouth, she was eventually discovered by her manager, Jim Anderson.

Singing is a relatively new endeavor to Spx, who claims to have only been practicing music as of late.

“Singing has only been part of my life the past couple of years,” Spx said.

According to Rolling Stone, Spx is one of seven children and was encouraged by her family to pursue a career in law. Her use of a pseudonym is intentional — Spx is aware that her family may not be approving of her chosen career path, Rolling Stone stated in a description of her video “Winter Solstice” that they posted.

Cold Specks’ debut album, “I Predict a Graceful Expulsion,” came out last May. The album’s sound is what others describe as “doom soul,” as exemplified by her rich, soulful voice with ghostly undertones paired with southern and gospel influences.

The album has received praise from critics like Pitchfork, a popular independent music website. Pitchfork awarded her a rating of 7.7 out of 10.

But Spx is vague about the concept of the album.

“I think it’s just about letting go,” she said.

Spx has been on her current tour to promote the album for about a month, which began on Oct. 8. However, this isn’t her first time on the road — she is currently amidst her third U.S. tour.

“It’s been going well,” Spx said. “It’s a good, big country, [but it’s] a long drive.”

Her multiple, extensive trips have resulted in Spx finding it hard to distinguish one from the other.

“They’re all blurring together,” Spx said.

Even though being thrown into the spotlight may drastically affect the lives of many artists, Spx is not fazed.

“Nothing’s changed,” Spx said. “I’ve just been traveling a bit more.”

Such frequent travel has made Spx accustomed to life on the road.

“I don’t get homesick,” Spx said. “[Touring] is very fun. I get to travel with my friends.”

Cold Specks will be performing at First Unitarian Church on Friday, Nov. 9.

Samantha Stough can be reached at samantha.stough@temple.edu.